I got a wild hair to make a dress in one day. No real reason, just a mini goal I set for myself, something fresh to wear to a Lenny gig on Saturday night. I wanted to do something with the charmeuse that my failing memory had sworn was zebra print but was instead sort of a huge jagged flower (It may even be a peony!). You’ll see the print–you figure it out.
The Peony muslin I made back in October had a nice fit and I wore it a ton, so, pattern pieces at the ready, off I went cutting my charmeuse. Everything went smoothly, except for breaking the zipper (I’ll spare you the gory details of that idiocy.), which required installation of a whole new one. This move lost me almost an inch of fabric that I didn’t have to spare, because heaven forbid I seam rip. I just cut the old zipper out.
The thing about this fabric is that is has no give. I forgot that the cotton I used for the muslin was sort of stretchy, so this new dress that I thought would be an identical fit just wasn’t. (The zipper debacle didn’t help either.) I do like that I lengthened the sleeves from 3/4 to full length, but I seriously need to do an FBA on this puppy.
I did make it to the gig, barely, so I actually wore it in public, but it really isn’t too flattering. Although it actually looks okay in these photos, I probably won’t wear it out much without a cardi or blazer.
While I’m at it, here’s the Peony muslin that I wore the heck out of this fall but never photographed.
Overall, not a waste of a day. And guess what, I made a whole ‘nother dress on Sunday. Hint: grrr, rrreeerrrr, roar. To be continued…